In which a canoe is built, its progress described and photographed.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

9. More Strips

I've added a half-dozen strips since my last post.

Trimming to the tumblehome edge and beveling the next strip to match was difficult, and took a long time, but now that I'm past that point, the strips go on quickly.

Next: I'll put on another half-dozen strips before I switch to the other side.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

8. Laying Strips

After some delay swapping blades on the bandsaw, I now have a whole stack of cedar strips and I've begun laying them on. I've been impatient to get to this point, and I'm excited to be making progress again.

The cedar was expensive, by the way. I just got my heart set on it, but a cooler head might save some money buying another species.

Shavings from cutting bevels

Close up of staples.

The strips are stapled to the forms. Here I'm using a bit of cardboard in-between so that removing the staples will be easier later. [Edit: Later, I gave up on this. The staples are easy enough to pull without the cardboard] You can also see masking tape holding the strips together while they glue.